Thursday, April 15, 2010

I dreamed you paid your dues in Canada

Random thoughts on Thursday evening:

-I'm quite familiar, from my train commute, with a very narrow swathe of Eastern Massachusetts. I'm quite familiar, from my whole life up to this point, with a much larger swathe of the same.

-If the world is fallin' down, it may as well crash with me.

-I've never completely understood the phenomenon of people hanging out in bars. It's cheaper to drink at home and you don't have to be surrounded by a crowd of sweaty strangers. No-brainer, right? Is it just that they make really good settings for sit-coms?

-Never knew until this year how good Brussels sprouts and plantains are. Where have you guys been all my life?

-Once you quit making excuses for yourself, losing weight is much easier. Obviously I'm young and it's easier for me than someone say 25 years older, but still, once you stop all the rationalizing and get into some good habits, losing weight isn't the hardest thing to do.

-I'm really not comfortable with people cursing out loud in public places. It's still so off-putting to me. Not that it offends me personally, but I'm offended on behalf of the sanctity of a public place. And embarrassed on behalf of the person doing the cursing. You really do come off looking like a fool when you do that. And I'm not a prude, but it is offensive. We have certain standards in our culture. When you go and curse all the time within earshot of the polite, reasonable people who are simply going about their business, you are breaking the rules and lowering the bar for everyone.

-Went for a fantastic run today at the Appleton Estate. Treadmills are very convenient and all, but they can't hold a candle to a nice hard run in the woods on a brisk spring day. This in spite of the heavy odor of manure.

-It's good to be alive.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, lovely, Allan, that you went for a run at Appleton. It's a very special place, not to mention the fresh air and non-treadmillish nature.

    love,
    Your Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. down with treadmills! why do people like to be hampsters inside sweaty gyms with stuffy air watching opera? give me a road, a trail, and the elements of nature.

    I have not had the luxury of exploring the bar scene yet; that thrill has been postponed until may. however, I have a feeling that I will be agreeing with you soon enough on your bar comments.

    keep it up broseph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks jd. and lol they're watching opera? that sounds like a fun gym

    ReplyDelete